Please Help

Save the Children Evergreen

Monday, July 19, 2010

A lesson in playing with fire

Today my boys and their dad were cleaning up their room. My husband found burnt tissue stuffed in the corner. He asked our son Christopher, which is 7, if he was playing with a lighter. We always stress the importance of admitting when he's done something wrong, and telling the truth. We also  let him know that punishment is ten times worse for lying. Well, he told the truth and said yes he was playing with fire. My husband and I told him how he could have been hurt, set the house on fire, been killed, and we went on and on. We sent him to his room to think about it, but felt like the message just went in one ear and out the other. So, we decided to search youtube for a video that shows the repercussions of kids playing with fire, and fire safety. After searching through songs called "Don't play with fire" and "Jenna likes to play with fire xxx", we found this heart-wrenching video of two brothers who put a stuffed animal in an oven, and started a fire. My heart went out to the family and that adorable and precious little boy, who actually reminded us of our littlest boy Jay. My family and I watched the video together and talked about the dangers of playing with fire, and the importance of fire safety. Thank you God for showing me this video!

 




1 comment:

  1. Playing with fire can be a very dangerous thing. I don't smoke so there are no lighters in the house.
    I have had my kids go through a check list of what I want them to do. This list includes staying out of the kitchen, never opening the front door and in the event of trouble get me.
    My kids are older now (31,20,10) but when they were young, I made them repeat to me the check list and made sure they were able to understand what I wanted from them.
    Great post.Keep up the good work!! :)

    ReplyDelete